The Timeline Of Dating : Why Is It Important To Get The Timing Right?
Some of us would consider ourselves to be in a relationship as soon as it feels right whereas some of us prefer to take more time before deciding whether we should commit into a relationship.
Your Expectations & Depth of Understanding Matters.
The Reality Is That:
- There is no right or wrong, happy and lasting relationships can result from both scenarios, but how well you know each other before committing into a relationship would affect the chances of the relationship being successful.
- A successful relationship takes time & effort to build
- It takes time to really get to know a person and whether they are right for you
“If we choose the right partner for our lives, life can be like heaven on earth; but if we chose the wrong partner, life can be a living hell.”
Differing Expectations & Moving Too Quicky
If you commit too quickly without communication, you run the risk of:
- Causing differing expectations & “one-sidedness” due to the different pace of commitment
- Committing to someone who might not be right for you & realizing it when it’s too late to back out without hurting someone.
Differing levels of commitment can strain a relationship while committing too early might cause you to be stuck in an unhappy relationship with the wrong person when you discover it later on.
How do we know when would be the right time?
While there is no exact time frame that everyone should follow because every relationship is unique, most successful relationships we’ve observed would resemble the following timeline and we hope that it can serve as a guide on when to enter or commit into the various stages of a relationship.
The Dating Timeline
The above timeline is just an estimate, but in essence, the right time to commit or enter into these various stages should depend on how long it takes for the following factors to fall into place.
Getting to Know Each Other (Dating)
How to know if the time is right to start dating:
- As long as you are somewhat attracted to them and don’t mind getting to know him/her better romantically
(You can use our App to find out if someone is also interested in you)
Expectation Level: CASUAL
This is an exploratory stage and one should not have overly high expectations
Just treat it as a fun & light hearted adventure in getting to know a new friend better romantically while having a great time!
In a Relationship (Boyfriend/Girlfriend)
How to know if the time is right to commit into a relationship:
- You’ve seen both the good & bad in each other and found no Fundamental Incompatibilities (Listed Here)
- You really know each other well (character, beliefs & personality)
- You have a strong friendship
- You’ve seen how they behave in front of their close friends (guys & girls)
- Despite discovering each other’s bad habits or shortfalls, you’re still attracted to each other
Expectation Level: COMMITTED
This is a stage where the both of you are in a committed relationship and are trying to build a strong foundation for a lasting relationship. It should be expected that the both of you would try your best to build this relationship together & make space for each other in your hearts & lives.
Engagement (Preparation for Marriage)
How to know if it’s the right time to get engaged:
- You have been in a committed relationship for some time and are still happy
- You’ve gone through fights and bad times together but made it work in the end
- You’re each other’s best friend of the opposite sex
- Both of you are at a stage where you are prepared to consider the possibility of settling down, starting a family or live the rest of your lives together
- You are comfortable with each other’s friends, family & lifestyle
Expectation Level: PREPARING FOR LIFELONG COMMITMENT
Marriage (Spending the rest of your lives together)
How to know if you are ready for marriage:
- Your engagement period went well
Marriage is the start of an exciting & long adventure together with your soul mate on a journey called life. If you’ve found the right partner, the journey would be like heaven on earth. It is definitely not the end of the romance, it should be the start of an exciting new journey together!
Expectation Level: LIFELONG COMMITMENT
So when and how should you commit into a relationship?
Well, there is no right or wrong answer to this, but there will probably be less heartbreak & complications if both parties:
- Treat dating as a fun & exploratory period to get to know a friend better romantically without too much expectations
- Spend sufficient time getting to know each other before deciding to commit into a relationship
- Regularly communicate your expectations & feelings to each other as your relationship progresses. That way, you will both know when you are both ready to commit into a relationship, need more time, or it would be better to go separate ways.
“It takes time & effort to really get to know someone and to build a relationship. Hence, it is advisable for us to invest the required time…”
Meet Amazing People On Wowwwz!
Did you know that 83% of couples met through a mutual friend?
Meet Amazing People On Wowwwz!
Did you know that an average person has 75,000 people in their extended network who are SINGLE and of the OPPOSITE SEX?